Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Still My Baby

In some ways it seems that I don't remember life without Ellen and that she has always been in my life. In other ways it seems like she was born yesterday. She is such a big girl these days and is losing that baby look. Every now and then, though, I can still see my little baby in that big girl! This reminds me of a something that I read somewhere about remembering to parent your child according to their age. As in, take a deep breath, yes your child is whining about not being able to eat only ketchup for dinner with her hands but remember - she is only 21 months old. When she is in one of these moments, I take a breath and pray, "Help me to remember that she is just a baby and give me patience". This doesn't mean she gets out of things. I don't believe in that. It is just a reminder for me to center myself and to put myself in her shoes before I react. To a 21 month old, ketchup for dinner seems like a great plan. It tastes great, is red and doubles as a great finger paint. So it is up to me to take that into consideration when I respond. Thus, I might say something like, "I know you like ketchup and want more. Mommy likes ketchup too but that is all the ketchup you can have for dinner. Would you like to finish what is on your plate or take a bath?" rather than "Don't be ridiculous. Do you know how much high fructose corn syrup there is in that stuff. I'm surprised the Mommy police haven't hunted me down for allowing you to have ketchup at all. Besides, you now have ketchup all over your new dress and I am going to be up late fighting that stain you just made..."
All that crazy chatter is still going on in my head but this little prayer helps it to stay there instead of coming out and hurting Ellen's feelings and later her self-esteem. When you are approaching the terrible twos as quickly as we are, any little thing helps!
Love, The Little Bee and her Momma

2 comments:

  1. Maybe her aunt will make her some ketchup without corn syrup so if the mommy police come, you can turn them away and Elle can have as much as she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found some without high frustose corn syrup! I bet she would like yours better though. I have also been known to give her marinara in a bowl with a spoon. She eats it like soup.

    ReplyDelete