Friday, May 27, 2011

The Years are Short

I found this old blog post hidden in my drafts. This is from when I was told that Ellen would be moving up to the toddler class and that she needed to hold her own bottle. Her teacher and I both knew that Little Miss Priss knew very well how to hold her own bottle but that she preferred to have it held. This picture was evidence of this.
She still likes to sit in our lap and have a bottle, even if she is giving it to herself. She is such a snuggle bear. Now we are facing giving up the bottle for cups and giving up the formula for whole milk. We have made more progress in giving up the formula. Again, she knows how to use a cup (very messily) but prefers her bottle. I also prefer the bottle and had a little cry about giving up this stage of her babyhood. Now when Lloyd sees me start to read the book about feeding he says, "please don't cry". Who knew that motherhood was so steeped in ambivalence. This whole year has had me tied up in it! On one hand I am so proud that she is growing and advancing to the next milestone but on the other hand it tugs my heart that she needs me a little bit less. Oh sure, she will need me the rest of her life but not in the way that a baby does.

Here she is at Papasito's reminding me of how grown up she is. Little Bee, I am so proud of every move you make but it does tug at my heartstrings. I think I am doing a good job of keeping this ambivalence in check and not preventing you from taking that next step but sometimes it is harder. There are some days that I am at work and my arms ache to get home and hold you. Luckily, we have years of that ahead of us and you are the best snuggle bunny around! Love, The Little Bee and her Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment